I’m putting together my race schedule for the year and I’m already fired up about it! Things are still tentative since a couple of the races are team events and final decisions haven’t been made yet, but it really looks like a lot of fun! Of course there are the usual dilemmas of conflicting races, but those are happy problems to have. I plan on adding many more races of all types but here is the list so far…:
- PsycoWyco Run Toto Run Trail Race- Feb 10. Wyandotte County Kansas (just outside KC). I’m running the 10 mile flavor of this race since I’m not in shape to do much more. Tough trails and conditions, but a great way to see if I really want to do this offroad thing or not… 😉
- AdventureMax Offroad Triathlon- March 5. Innsbrook, Mo. An offroad, team triathlon of canoeing, mountain biking and trail running. Something like 4-5 mi canoe, 10-15 mi MTB and 4-6 mi run.
- Max Trax Duathlon- April 2. Usually my first multisport race of the year and always fun. This year I’m doing the short one which is 1.5/7.5/1.5
- Warsaw Adventure Race- April 16. This is an 8 hour race with a mix of canoe, MTB, orienteering, trail running, etc. This is a team race and will be my first shot at orienteering under pressure.
- Xterra Degray Lake- April 30. My first offroad, solo triathlon at Degray lake in Arkansas. It’s an 800 yd swim, 15 mi MTB and 3.5 mi run. It was a tough choice to do this one because it is the day before Trizou in Columbia, which was my first triathlon and something I wanted to make an annual tradition. But an Xterra race this close to home is too good to pass up. Maybe next year… 😦
- KC Triathlon- May 22. This will be my first time doing this race and it will be my first road triathlon of the year. Again, doing the sprint distance.
- Quartermax/Fresh Ideas- June 25. Back to Innsbrook for this one. Beautiful course, tough, challenging road triathlon.
That’s all I’ve got so far. Would like another race in June but may back off in July and August. I didn’t handle the heat very well last year so training might be all I do. Lots of swimming!
My list of maybes includes Johnson County (KC), Lake St. Louis (FRICKIN’ EXPENSIVE!), New Town and any other fun stuff that might pop up between now and then. I’m sure there will be a few 5Ks and other trail stuff (like RBR), plus the Rocheport bike ride, etc. Tons of options!
I am definitely going to do Kirksville in September but I don’t know the date yet so it’s not on the list. I’m also going to really try hard to get to Club Nationals but the cost for me plus the family is pretty prohibitive and I really don’t want to go without them.
Now to get to work and stay healthy! Have a great year!