A new PR!

Mileage:  5K race

Time: 23:11

OK… so it’s only my second official, timed race in the last 11 years… but still!  I think it’s a big improvement.

I woke up early this morning and lay in bed debating with myself IF and WHICH ONE of the many 5K races I should run.  It fit into my training plan to run one, but I was slightly less than motivated.  It’s supposed to rain tomorrow, which coincides with my long run of 12 miles so I was actually considering switching and running long today.  But I got the Jones to actually run WITH people for once, so I decided on a small local race.

I got to the registration area before the registration people did so I wandered around the MU campus for a bit.  It’s a beautiful campus and I haven’t explored it much so it was a good thing.  I was the first late registration when they finally woke up and got everything set up so I got my (ungodly green) shirt and took it back to the truck.  By the time I got back to the start, there were actually runners milling about, so I wandered and warmed up and generally eaves dropped on conversations.  I didn’t know anyone at the race but I still love the “vibe” you get at organized races.

This race, unfortunately, allowed not only iPods, but strollers and dogs.  Ugh…  I don’t have anything against any of them, as long as the people who have them know what to do.  Luckily, the race organizer made all but the iPod people move to the back.  If you have never seen 15 dogs panic when a starter’s gun goes off, it can be a HUGE disaster.  Some squat down and tinkle, others bolt to the end of their leads in all directions.  Not good when surrounded by 300 people.  Funny, the same thing seems to happen to strollers… hmm…

Anyway, I ended up just off the front group by a couple of rows.  When the gun went, I was so worried about tripping and getting out away from the pack that I forgot to set my watch.  I set it at the half mile mark and then spent the rest of the race trying to do the math on my splits.  I am mathematically disabled, so it kept me occupied.  The cool thing was that I was close enough to the front to be able to see the lead pack for over a mile before we started twisting and turning through the campus.  It was a fun course and a pretty day.

I ended up running a 23:11.  And I think if I had set my watch and known where I was, I might have been able to break 23 minutes.  I still had a little gas left at the end.  Still, that comes out to about 7:30 miles with the extra .1 mile at the end, which is insane to think I could run that fast again.  Especially when I think about the 26:03 I ran for the St. Paddy’s Day 5K 2 months ago.  Runs like this really make sticking with it easier.  I was pretty encouraged!

Now I just hope the rain holds off tomorrow…


Comments are closed.


My life and journey to my next 100 mile race.

Tell Me About Running

A Day In My Running Shoes

Run Long Run Strong

A journey towards ultra-marathon completion

Running On Healthy

Living Life Healthy, Fit, and Happy

The 3-3-1 Express Diet Blog

Taking you from Fat to Fit in Record Time


An exercise in being radically transparent.

Alina's Scentsy Scents

scentsy scents, an honest opinion about fragrances


Fitness for the modern

Runner Mom

Just a mommy addicted to running

11315 Miles

Run, Walk, Bike...Repeat. Never.Give.Up.

Max Muscles

Build mucles to become strong and hard!

Newfound FITNESS

Happy, Healthy, and Energetic!

My great Wordpress blog

Just another WordPress site

Hemingway Run

From Couch Potato To Runner Bean!

Single-tracked Mind

Early nights and compression tights; trails and ales.


Running, Mommyhood, and Awesomeness!

Muscle. Mind. Madness.

Just another WordPress.com site

%d bloggers like this: